|Policy Number: 3.1||Effective Date: February 1996|
|Responsible Unit: Financial Services - Purchasing||Last Revised Date: April 2021|
|Phone: 520-621-1747||Email: email@example.com|
Purpose and Summary
To define the Purchase Order and authorized issuer.
This policy applies to all University locations and units, including all University extensions, satellite locations, and off-site campus units, both domestic and international.
- Purchase Order: An official document with a purchase order number that is issued by a buyer committing the University to pay the seller for products or services to be delivered in the future.
- Only buyers with signature authority delegated by the Chief Procurement Officer are authorized to assign a purchase order number.
- A Purchase Order (PO) is prepared from a Requisition (REQS).
- Copies of the Purchase Order document are sent to the vendor and can be made available to the requesting department.
- POs can be used to cover any and all types of purchases regardless of the dollar amount, although they are generally for purchases in excess of $10,000.
- Purchases of $25,000 or less may be eligible for purchase without a PO utilizing the PCard or Arizona BuyWays.
Purchases Requiring Prepayment
- As a general rule, payment should not be made before goods or services are received. Prepayment will be made as determined by Purchasing. Documentation must be attached to the requisition justifying the need for prepayment.
- Purchases not exceeding $25,000 that require prepayment may be eligible for payment with the PCard, unless the item is restricted from use of the PCard. Refer to the PCard Policies Manual.
* Please note that sections titled Frequently Asked Questions and Related Information are provided solely for the convenience of users and are not part of the official University policy.