Policy Owner: Financial Management
This section provides the University policies and procedures on expenditures for purchases of goods and services. (Travel expenditure policies and procedures are discussed separately in section 14.00 Travel.) Expenditures for goods and services are generally initiated using one of the following methods:
- Purchasing Card, for allowable purchases not to exceed $10,000 via Visa.
- Arizona BuyWays for access to multiple vendors and contracted pricing via UAccess Financials Shop Catalogs.
- Requisitions, for initiating purchases of goods or services from independent contractors and vendors outside the University.
- Disbursement Voucher, for reimbursements, establishing and settling Operational advances and payment of invoices from contracted vendors.
- Internal Billing, for initiating purchases of goods or services from other University departments.
- Request for Motor Pool Vehicles, for requesting use of University vehicles from the Motor Pool.
Regardless of which method is used to initiate a purchase, University expenditure policies, procedures and exhibits in this section must be followed. If you have any questions regarding the policies, procedures and exhibits in this section, contact Financial Services.
Determining Which Purchasing Method to Use
- Purchases exceeding $25,000 require informal or formal competitive solicitation. Refer to Purchasing Policy 4.4 Requests for Bids (RFB)/Proposals (RFP).
- Purchases greater than $10,000 that are not being made via Arizona BuyWays should always be initiated using a Requisition to ensure that State purchasing guidelines are followed.
- Small Dollar Direct Purchases provide an alternative to the Requisition process:
- Purchases $10,000 and under on the University Purchasing Card (PCard)
- Purchases $25,000 and under through Arizona BuyWays.
- Faster receipt of merchandise based on immediate payments from the Purchasing Card
- Improved relationships with vendors
- Consolidated payment through Accounts Payable
- Elimination of the need for certain transactions to flow through Purchasing
- Simplified procurement process
- The following provides guidance for selecting the most effective method for Small Dollar Direct Purchases: