|Policy Number: 6.9||Effective Date: January 2021|
|Responsible Unit: Financial Services - Purchasing||Last Revised Date: April 2021|
|Phone: 520-621-5449||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
Purpose and Summary
In our pursuit to provide the University with the best moving services possible, we have listed five national moving companies that are Educational & Institutional (E&I) Contracted Vendors. These Vendors offer highly discounted rates along with other benefits at no additional cost to new employees relocating to the University. Some of these benefits are: free valuation (insurance); waiver of peak transportation rates (during the summer months & holidays); discounted rates for international moves; discounted rates for current employees and retirees.
The five agreements referenced above have been established through the University's membership in E & I and are the result of a competitive sealed Request for Proposals process. The agreements are with: Mayflower Transit (Mayflower) through its agent Dircks Moving Services (Dircks); United Van Lines (United) through its agent Horizon Moving & Logistics (Horizon); Allied Van Lines (Allied) through its agent Nor-Cal Moving Services (Nor-Cal); and North American Van Lines through its agent A-1 Freeman Moving Group (A-1 Freeman). Using Dircks, Horizon, Nor-Cal , A-1 Freeman, or Armstrong Relocation will afford the University with the following additional benefits:
- Preferential Status: The contract with E & I is one of the largest that Allied, United, and Mayflower have. The employee will receive preferential status by affiliation with this Key Account with Allied, United, Mayflower, North American (A-1 Freeman) using the clout of more than 2,500 E & I member institutions.
- Highly Trained Drivers: Experienced, professional moving drivers have been in short supply in the last couple of years. By using Dircks, Horizon, Nor-Cal, A-1 Freeman or Armstrong Relocation you will have priority access to highly trained, professional drivers that work for Allied, United, Mayflower or North American or their agents. This lowers the risk of getting a driver who is an independent contractor, who may not be as skilled, loyal, or as motivated to provide the top-notch service that the University expects.
- Moving Consultant: A Certified Moving Consultant will be assigned to provide caring and professional guidance before, during and after your move.
To ensure a positive moving experience for new hires and research/business relocations, it is recommended that employees and departments use the designated booking agents listed here, for the contracted national moving companies. They have been designated because they are very knowledgeable of our Agreement, the discounts, along with all of the additional “no charge” benefits afforded by our Agreements, and most importantly, they REALLY CARE. They are ALL committed to the best customer service possible.
This policy applies to all University locations and units, including all University extensions, satellite locations, and off-site campus units, both domestic and international.
- Household Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses for the employee and their household members, those currently residing in the household that will be relocated to the new residence, in accordance with FSM Policy 9.14 Relocation Policy for Employees.
- Contracted Booking Agent: University contracted vendors with established moving agreement pricing offering highly discounted rates along with other benefits at no additional costs to the new employee relocating to the University.
- Research/Business Relocation Expenses: The cost of moving research laboratory or office equipment from an employee’s former employer to their place of work at the University of Arizona. Business moving expenses are paid separately and not included as part of the employee’s household relocation allowance.
- Expenses for moving laboratory and office equipment directly to the University must be included in the offer letter and will be paid or reimbursed separately from the employee's household moving allowance. Refer to FSM Policy 9.14 Relocation Policy for Employees.
- For personal household relocations, the move itself is solely the responsibility of the employee in accordance with FSM Policy 9.14 Relocation for Employees.
- For business moving expenses, the following applies:
- Competitive bidding is not required if the moving expenses are less than or equal to $25,000.
- Competitive bidding is required if the expenses exceed $25,000. A minimum of three written estimates must be obtained by the new employee and a written justification by the business office must accompany the estimates if the desired agent does not have the lowest estimate. Please contact Financial Services Purchasing for additional information, including a request for an exception to the bidding requirement.
Personal Household Relocation
- Please keep in mind, and inform the new employee upfront, that the move itself is solely the responsibility of the new employee. The contract for the move, along with any problems that may result from the move, is between the employee and the moving company.
- The new hire should contact one of the designated booking agents, as soon as possible. They should identify themselves as a new employee of the University of Arizona and that they want the contract rate and benefits per the University of Arizona contract. The designated booking agent will then arrange for the local affiliate agent to schedule a walk-through inspection with the new employee. This will result in a "not to exceed" quote or estimate.
- If the estimate is acceptable to the new employee, and they agree on the pickup and delivery dates, they may contract for the move.
- Payment for the move is made by the employee directly to the moving company.
- Competitive bidding is required if the expenses exceed $25,000. A minimum of three written estimates must be obtained by the new employee and a written justification by the business office must accompany the estimates if the desired agent does not have the lowest estimate. Obtaining written estimates from the Contracted Booking Agents is encouraged.
- The designated booking agent should be contacted and a contract should be requested. The designated booking agent will then arrange for the local affiliate agent to schedule a walk-through inspection. This will result in a "not to exceed" quote or estimate.
- If a department will be paying for the move via purchase order, the department then needs to promptly prepare an online requisition and send a copy of the estimate, other quotes, if the move exceeds $25,000, and a copy of the offer letter to PACS. A purchase order will then be processed and sent to the vendor.
- The vendor performs the move, invoices for payment and Accounts Payable makes the payment.
- Although direct vendor payment is preferred, if the employee paid for research/business relocation expenses, refer to the procedures in FSM 9.14 Relocation Policy for Employees for requirements and steps to submit a Disbursement Voucher (DV) to Accounts Payable for reimbursement.
* Please note that sections titled Frequently Asked Questions and Related Information are provided solely for the convenience of users and are not part of the official University policy.