4.10 Insurance

Last Revised Date
Monday, December 9, 1996 - 12:00 am

Policy Information

Policy Number: 4.10 Effective Date: February 1996
Responsible Unit: Financial Services - Purchasing Last Revised Date: February 1996
Phone: 520-621-1747 Email: contactpacs@fso.arizona.edu

Purpose and Summary

The purpose of this policy is to outline the specific types of insurance provided by the University to its employees and property.


This policy applies to all University locations and units, including all University extensions, satellite locations, and off-site campus units, both domestic and international.


  1. Liability Insurance: All University employees acting in good faith in the course and scope of their employment with the University have the following liability insurance coverage:
    • Commercial General Liability: Covers bodily injury and property damage to others arising from your alleged negligent acts as an employee.
    • Commercial Auto Liability: Covers bodily injury and property damage to others arising from your use of a University vehicle and some non-University vehicles.
    • Professional Liability: Covers harm to others and their property while employed and acting in a professional capacity on behalf of the University. Specific examples include medical malpractice, architects, engineers, errors and omissions.
    • Workers' Compensation and Employers' Liability: Covers medical expenses and lost wage reimbursement to all University workers and supervisors for injuries arising in the course and scope of their University employment.
    • Cyber Risk Liability: Covers third-party claims arising from data breaches.
  2. Property Insurance: All property owned by the University is covered worldwide on an "all risks" basis subject to certain minimums or deductibles and normal exclusions such as wear and tear. Specific coverage includes:
    • Fine Arts, Cyber Risk (coverage for University data and first party expenses arising from a data breach), Fire Extended Coverage, Boiler and Machinery, Movable (Personal) Property, Vehicles, Employee Fidelity, and other Money and Security Losses. Real property is covered at replacement cost and all other property is covered at actual cash value.
  3. Special Insurance: The University has specific policies for the following special insurance:
    • Mexican Insurance: A blanket policy covers University vehicles driven into Mexico. Call Risk Management at (520) 621-1790 to get vehicle specific documents needed in Mexico.
    • International Travel Insurance: Provides coverage for University international travelers on University business, including employees, students traveling as employees, students in professional training programs, and volunteers under the University‚Äôs direction. International Travel Insurance includes the following:
      • Liability incurred abroad (including vehicle use)
      • Emergency medical care, and for employees - work related injury benefit
      • A suite of emergency assistance services, including emergency medical or emergency evacuation (for specific circumstances)
    • Student and Volunteer Accident Insurance (Excess Medical): Provides coverage for accidental injuries to University students while traveling as part of a University sponsored program, and for official volunteers doing work for the University. This coverage is excess any other available health insurance, and has specific limitations and exclusions. Coverage is automatic while volunteers and students are engaged in covered activities


  1. The University requires vendors, contractors, consultants, service providers, and short-term tenant users to carry insurance for the express purpose of covering losses that might arise from their negligence.
  2. Standard and additional insurance requirements are set by Risk Management Services. Please refer to RMS Insurance Requirements.


  1. Insurance may be arranged for leased and other non-owned vehicles, loans of artwork and non-owned equipment, for rent or use of non-University facilities including rooms, buildings and other structures, and for international shipments. The time necessary to arrange insurance coverage depends on the issues. Allow adequate time to respond to special situation requests. Contact RMS for additional information.

For further information regarding any insurance coverage questions contact:

Risk Management Services
University Services Annex Building #300A
(520) 621-3391

* Please note that sections titled Frequently Asked Questions and Related Information are provided solely for the convenience of users and are not part of the official University policy.