9.40 Transferring Equipment to the University

Page last updated


To provide direction to university departments on receiving and identifying equipment brought from another institution by a new University faculty member.


Powers and duties of the University President, ABOR Policy 3-801 and 3-802

Authority below applies ONLY to Federal Property (acquisition dollars or title):

  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 45
  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 52.245-1
  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 245
  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 1852.245
  • Uniform Guidance, 2 C.F.R. § 200

POLICY:  University departments may receive at no cost equipment that is being transferred by new faculty members from other institutions.

Equipment transferred by a new faculty member shall be assigned a University A-tag number and entered into the University's property management system, provided it meets the University's definition of capital equipment.

If the transferring institution requires an official acceptance by the University, the transfer documents shall be approved by the Office of Research and Contract Analysis.





  1. If the transferring institution requires an official acceptance by the University, refer them or forward any acceptance documents to the SPS Property Administrator.


  1. Obtain the acceptance signatures required and return a copy of the acceptance to the transferring institution. 


  1. Send to Property Management a list of equipment being transferred from another institution. Include a schedule of equipment values preferably from an inventory report from the losing institution.
  2. If the equipment being transferred pertains to a grant or contract that is also being transferred to the University, contact both Sponsored Projects Service’s Preaward Section and the SPS Property Administrator. 


  1. Consult with the SPS Property Administrator to determine the titleholder of the property and the account number on which to record the equipment.
  2. Create a property record for each capital asset and issue a University A-tag, and if government title, a U.S. Government Property tag to the custodial department.


  1. Affix the tag(s), paint or engrave the tag number on the item(s), or if impractical, create a departmental record.
  2. Verify the data in the Capital Asset Module (CAM) and Acknowledge. Submit corrrections via Asset Edit document within one week.