14.10 Relief from Accountability - General

Page last updated


To provide direction to University departments regarding the relief from accountability for government property. 


Powers and duties of the University President, ABOR Policy 3-801 and 3-802

Authority below applies ONLY to Federal Property (acquisition dollars or title):

  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 45
  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 52.245-1
  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 245
  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 1852.245
  • Uniform Guidance, 2 C.F.R. § 200

POLICY:  Sponsored Projects Services will be responsible for coordinating and submitting all request to a federal sponsor for relief from accountability for federal property in possession of the University on a sponsored project.





  1. Notify the SPS Property Administrator when government property has been consumed in the performance of the contract, lost, retired, damaged, destroyed, or stolen.
  2. Notify the SPS Property Administrator when government property is returned to the sponsor, shipped to another party, or traded-in as directed by the sponsor. Provide copies of sponsor instructions and shipping documents.
  3. If a piece of government property is purchased by P.I.’s department, notify the SPS Property Administrator with a copy of the payment documents. 


  1. If government property is consumed, lost, retired , damaged, destroyed or stolen, notify the federal contract or grant administrator regarding the circumstance providing all available information and request relief from accountability.
  2. If government property is returned, shipped to another party, traded-in or purchased by the University, notify the sponsor in the next annual property report or final property report. Attach copies of receipt and instructions as required.
  3. Prepare and submit a Property Record Change Form to Property Management to remove items that the sponsor has granted relief of accountability, returned, traded-in, transferred, or changed title to University on those purchased.