11.30 Off Campus Use and Location

Page last updated

Policy Information

Policy Number: 11.30 Effective Date: 
Responsible Unit: Property Management Last Revised Date: 01/10/2023
Email:  FNSV-PropertyManagement@arizona.edu Phone: 520-621-8609

Purpose and Summary

To provide direction to University of Arizona (University) departments on the requirements for the authorization of off-campus location and use of University Movable Equipment and Sponsor Owned Property.


Arizona Board of Regents Policy, including, but not limited to: 3-801 and 3-802

Applies only to equipment purchased on sponsor funds or furnished by a sponsor: 

  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 45
  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 52.245-1
  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 245
  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 1852.245
  • Uniform Guidance, 2 C.F.R. § 200


This policy applies to all University locations and units, including all University extensions, satellite locations, and off-site campus units, both domestic and international.


Custodial Department: A department or unit of the University having physical control of equipment (i.e., the using department, owning department, or sponsoring department for a contract).

Movable Equipment: Equipment of any value that is portable, stand-alone, complete in itself, does not lose identity when affixed to or installed in other equipment, and has a useful life of one year or more.

  • Capital – Equipment costing $5,000 or more
  • Non-Capital – Equipment costing less than $5,000

Principal Investigator: The individual who has ultimate responsibility for the design, execution, and management of a sponsored project.

Sponsor: A Government Agency or other entity that provides external funding or other support to the University through sponsored awards.

Sponsor Owned Property: All tangible property, both real and personal. Property includes material, equipment, special tooling, special test equipment, and real property where said property is titled to the sponsor.


  1. The off-campus movement, storage and use of University Movable Equipment and Sponsor Owned Property must be preauthorized in writing by the responsible Dean, department head or director.
  2. All off-campus use or change in location must be reported to Financial Services Property Management within 10 business days. Reported changes will be reflected in the University system of record within 5 business days of receiving the communication to ensure compliance with both State and Federal regulations.
  3. The custodial department remains responsible for the same standard of care, security, control, and maintenance of off-campus University Movable Equipment and Sponsor Owned Property as if located on the campus.
  4. University Movable Equipment shall be returned to the campus and not abandoned at an off-campus location unless special approval is granted.


Custodial Department/Principal Investigator

  1. When it is necessary to relocate or use University Movable Equipment and Sponsor Owned Property in a building or site not owned or leased by the University, the responsible staff member shall complete and submit a Certification For Off-Campus Use of Equipment form to the Dean, department head or director.
  2. The approval of the Dean, department head or department director is required before the item(s) is moved from the campus.
  3. Within 10 business days of location change, copies of the approved certification shall be sent to the departmental Business Office, Property Management, and Sponsored Projects Services Property Manager (if purchased on a sponsored project account).

Property Management

  1. Enter the location in the Off-Campus section of the Asset Location tab of the Asset Record in UAccess Financials Capital Asset Management (CAM) module.

Custodial Department/Principal Investigator

  1. The Custodial Department shall conduct a physical inventory of off campus equipment biennially and note the date and results of the inventory in the space provided on the Certification Form from Procedure 1.
  2. When equipment is needed in a foreign country or remote location outside of Arizona, and it is not practical to return it to the campus, the following steps shall be taken:
    1. For University Movable Equipment, advanced approval shall be obtained from Surplus Property Services. A memo signed by the department head shall be provided to Property Management with all supporting documentation.
    2. For Sponsor Owned Property, advance sponsor approval shall be obtained vesting title to the equipment in an institution of higher education, local public school, provincial or local government agency, local non-profit relief organization or as directed by the sponsor.

Frequently Asked Questions


Related Information

Certification For Off-Campus Use of Equipment Form
Arizona Board of Regents Policy Manual
Code of Federal Regulations