||To provide guidelines and procedures for travel for The University of Arizona employees, students and affiliates.
||FSO Operations - Travel
Lodging Receipt Requirements | State of Arizona Accounting Meals/Lodging Reimbursement Rates
United States Department of State Foreign Meals/Lodging Per Diem Allowances
- The individual must be on authorized travel status at least 35 miles from his/her designated duty post to be eligible for lodging reimbursement.
- See Long-Term Travel for additional restrictions for travel over 30 days.
- Lodging reimbursements are determined by the address on the lodging establishments statement. The reimbursement amount is based upon the least expensive single room rate plus tax, in accordance with the rates listed in the State of Arizona Accounting Meals/Lodging Reimbursement Rates. Rates for Alaska, Hawaii and the US Territories are found on the Defense Travel Management Office site. The United States Department of State Foreign Meals/Lodging Per Diem Allowances for both lodging and meals are found on the State Department Web page.
- If the department determines in writing that a situation exists which makes compliance with the allowed maximums impractical and the President or his designee approves, actual lodging costs may be reimbursed, even if the allowed maximums are exceeded. Such exceptions must be approved in advance and original itemized receipts are required.
- Lodging costs incurred within 35 miles of the traveler's designated duty post or residence will not be reimbursed unless a situation exists which makes it necessary for the traveler to attain lodging. Lodging must be at a commercial establishment and the individual should always request the lowest available single room rate. Original itemized receipts are required. A letter of explanation approved by the department head must accompany the lodging expense claim. Reimbursement under this scenario is taxable income to the employee and will be reported on their W-2 form.
When University employees make their own arrangements or can control the site of the conferences, training sessions, or agency board and commission meetings, the conference designated hotel ruling may not apply. If established lodging reimbursement maximums will be exceeded when the site is controlled by University employees, a request for exception should be forwarded to the Financial Services - Operations for approval at least one week in advance of the meeting. If such meetings require overnight lodgings, reimbursement may be limited to the regular allowances. Travel Expense Reports received in Financial Services - Operations that do not have a copy of the prior approval letter attached may not be honored for amounts that exceed maximums. The exemption request should explain why it is impractical to use commercial establishments where the rates are within prescribed allowances.
|Location of Lodging
||Reimbursement Amount (excluding tax)
|Cities and cities located in the counties listed on the Meals/Lodging Cost Index (note 1)
||Actual cost not to exceed maximum lodging cost.
|Other cities, instate
||Actual cost not to exceed $60.00
|Other cities, out of state, within United States
||Actual cost not to exceed $60.00
|Out of country (note 2)
||Maximum Per Diem Rates per the US Department of State Standardized Regulations
|Conference Designated Lodging, regardless of Location (note 3)
|Note 1: The State of Arizona Meals/Lodging Per Diem Allowances is updated periodically.
|Note 2: The United States Department of State Foreign Meals/Lodging Per Diem Allowances, which include lodging, food and incidental expenses, are updated periodically. (Does not apply to state accounts.)
|Note 3: Conference designated lodging exempts conference hotels from established lodging allowances. This particular exemption was extended in order to reduce ground transportation costs and because University attendees have no control over the venue of the conference. Individuals staying at a conference designated hotel may be reimbursed actual lodging cost, provided a conference brochure indicating the lodging rate accompanies the reimbursement claim and original itemized receipts.