18.20 University Funded Property - General

Last Revised Date
Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 11:33 am


To provide direction to University departments regarding the trade-in of University funded equipment for new items.


Powers and duties of the University President, ABOR Policy 3-801 and 3-802

The authority below applies ONLY to Federal Property (acquisition dollars or title):

  • 48 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 45
  • 2 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 200 (“Uniform Guidance”)  

POLICY:  University departments may trade University property for new items, as long as the property being traded in is not for some unknown product or service to be acquired in the future. Trading University equipment in on an item that will be titled to another entity is prohibited. A trade that results in the department receiving funds in addition to a new item is considered a sale, not a trade and must be processed as outlined in Public Sale.





  1. Determine the titleholder and source(s) of funding for the equipment item(s) proposed for trade-in.
    1. If the item is titled in a sponsor, or if the item is University titled, acquired on government funds, and has a trade- in value of $5,000 or more, follow the instructions in Property Management Policy 18.10.
    2. If the item is University titled, acquired on University funds, follow the standard University purchasing procedure by creating a Requisition to order the new item or items. 
  2. Identify the items being traded, the UA property tag number (or indicate that a tag does not exist) and the value being received for the trade. The transaction will not be processed without a value being indicated for the item being traded.
  3. Prepare a Request for Authorization to Dispose of Movable Assets (RADMA, previously known as RADP) form, note the REQ number at the top, and send to Purchasing as an attachment. 


  1. Forward the Purchase Requisition and RADMA to Surplus Property for review. 


  1. Review the Purchase Requisition and the RADMA and approve, or resolve any differences with the department, return form for completion, or request further justification.
  2. If approved, sign and forward to Purchasing for processing. 
  3. If denied:
    1. Arrange to pick up the property and dispose of it using other methods.
    2. Indicate on the Purchase Requisition that the new item or items will now be split funded between Surplus Property and the department.
    3. The department will be credited an amount equal to what they would have received from the trade-in. The department will not receive any further funds resulting from the disposal of the disapproved trade other than the trade-in price plus sales tax they has proposed.
    4. Surplus Property’s account will be charged an amount equal to what would have been received from the intended trade-in plus tax. 


  1. Review the returned Purchase Requisition and RADMA for the required approvals and process. A Purchase Order will not be issued without Surplus Property’s approval. 


  1. When the traded-in equipment is shipped or picked up by the vendor, obtain a receipt and notify FSO-Property Management to delete the item(s) from the Capital Asset Module (CAM). 


  1. Upon receipt of notification that the traded-in equipment has been delivered to the vendor, remove it from the Capital Asset Module (CAM).