13.10 Annual Property Reports

Page last updated


To provide direction to university departments regarding the preparation and submission of annual property reports on Sponsored Projects.


Powers and duties of the University President, ABOR Policy 3-801 and 3-802

Authority below applies ONLY to Federal Property (acquisition dollars or title):

  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 45
  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 52.245-1
  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 245
  • Government Property, 48 C.F.R. § 1852.245
  • Uniform Guidance, 2 C.F.R. § 200

POLICY:  Sponsored Projects Services is responsible for the preparation and submission of required annual property reports to sponsors. The requirements for the annual property is recorded in the Property Titleholder and Reporting Database maintained by Sponsored Projects Services.

Examples of sponsors requiring annual reports include, but are not limited to the following: (Fewer sponsors require annual reports than final property reports).

  • NASA - Grants, contracts and cooperative agreements. Submit by October 31th.
  • JPL - All contracts with or with equipment. Submit by August 31th.
  • DoD - Limited to only those grants and contracts with government owned equipment. Submit by October 31th.
  • DOE - Contracts. Submitted by October 31th.
  • Johns Hopkins University with DoD and NASA pass through requirements. Submit by September 30th.
  • Other universities with DoD and NASA pass through requirements. Submit by September 30th.
  • Government subcontractors - most notify the University at least a month prior to the report due date. This notice will include a listing of the person to whom the reports are to be submitted 





  1. Print a listing of current contracts, grants and cooperative agreements for each sponsor requiring an annual report from the UAccess Research database. The list should be obtained on the first day of the month in which the reports are to be submitted.
  2. Print property reports on each sponsor account requiring a property report using the Property Database, a Financial Report, and titleholder information from the Property Titleholder and Reporting Database. Reconcile the financial report with the value of property included in the Property Database. Reconcile the titleholder database information with that recorded for each asset in the Property Database. Request corrections as necessary.
  3. Complete and submit the following sponsor property report forms by the due date. Some reports documents can be submitted over the web, but others are required to be faxed or mailed:

    CONTRACTS: A report is required when the contract is accountable for government titled property:
    1. NASA and JPL use for NASA 1018
    2. DOD use form DoD 1662
    3. DOE use the form submitted with their report request
    4. Johns Hopkins and other universities use either NASA 1018 or DoD 1662 depending on the federal funding source.
    If the contract contains no government titled property, NASA and JPL require a negative report be submitted. DoD does not require a report when there is no government property accountable to the contract.

    GRANTS AND COOPERATIVE AGREEMENTS: Most NASA and DoD grants and cooperative agreements do not contain government owned property. When government owned property is accountable to a NASA or DoD grant, submit a property schedule and letter by grant award to the designated government Property Administrator. NASA and DoD do not require a negative report on grants.


  4. Update the Property Titleholder and Reporting Database with the 9S Financial Information, value of recorded property and date annual report submitted. Maintain copies of reports in the computer files of the sponsor and the grant, contract or agreement property folder.